Friday, September 4, 2009

The importance of NOW

"I do not yearn the future; nor do I long for the Past.
Both of these options, I believe are escapes from the challenge and sometimes the pain of living in the present.
I thus believe in blooming wherever I'm planted or, more appropriately, regularly replanted.
And so I joyfully try to make do with wherever and who-so-ever I am"
- Farid Esack

This simple, powerful and profound statement confuses me.
On one hand I am so impressed with his clarity and control over the mind and emotions. On the other, I wonder, can living according to these ideals ever be enough? Will it actually feel complete, or does it mean mere 'existence' and not 'living' in the true sense.

The beauty of life lies in the 'memories'. Some that you look back upon with a frown; and certain others that leave you wishing that you could go back to that very moment- wishing it were frozen in time because everything seemed so 'perfect'. The past can never really be erased, no matter how much one wants it to be; and this is one of the most important lessons that we learn in this journey. For me, the most important person in my life can today only exist and breathe inside my head. If complete self control means letting go of this yearning for 'what once was', I doubt it is possible, even for the mentally strongest amongst us.

And looking to the future: dreams, hopes and ambitions- is that not what fuels life and adds meaning to it. Can we be ever be satisfied living like mere fish in the ocean, with no sense if direction, no desire to find out what lies on the outside?

Reality is sometimes wonderful, easy and happy- in the good moments, we often tend to lose a sense of reality, living in a protected bubble. In these times it is the future which brings us the UNCERTAIN, the unprepared for, the struggle; For life cannot always be a bed of roses. In times of distress, when nothing seems to be going right for us, when despair seeps into every pore- the HOPE and PRAYER for a better tomorrow inspires us and takes us through like the flame of a candle in the darkness.

Farid Esack's words however, I cannot choose to ignore. There is so much wisdom and so many years of experience that has gone beyond his thoughts. The vision behind his words inspires and the simple message seems to call out. 'The most important thing is to live in the moment; cherish the life that is now.'

I ask for the sense that enables one to simply strike the balance! :)

3 comments:

Akki said...

Great Post Bala :)

ruchika said...

bala, Lovely post! :)
Farid Esack's quote beautifully emphasizes on the importance of "NOW". However, just as you wrote in the post- its neither easy to let go your past, nor is it possible to stop contemplating about the future.
I don't think it is wise to forget your past, for therein lie so so so many lessons/memories that can make our present more fulfilling.
And what joy will there be to life if we don't have anything to look forward to? :)
Your post sums up everything! :)


hope to read another great post soon! :)

Karishma Desai said...

I love the thoughts... And can sooooo relate to each word... Write more of such stuff! :)